As a company which directly relies on tourism industry, we are aware that the negative impacts of tourism development and operations can gradually destroy the environmental resources on which it depends. On the other hand, we strongly believe that tourism has the potential to create beneficial effects on the environment by contributing to environmental protection and conservation.
Therefore, at Mai Khao Lak Beach Resort & Spa (TUI BLUE Mai Khao Lak), we recognizes the importance of protecting the environment and we are committed to making a difference by minimising the negative impacts of our operations while maximising the positive ones for both the environment we operate in, and the people living in it.
Moreover, we believe that just like at home, guests are ready to continue the eco-responsible actions that are part of their daily lives when they stay at a hotel.
This steadfast commitment to responsible business practices is the foundation of Mai Green Stay, our Sustainability Program which focuses on five pillars to build a sustainable future.
We aim at reducing our energy consumption across the resort through:
- Energy saving architecture, design, and material to reduce the need for air-conditioning
- Energy efficiency lighting to consume less energy
- Energy saving switch in all guest rooms to avoid unnecessary consumption of electricity
- Energy monitoring system to ensure continuous energy-saving practices
We aim at significantly reducing water consumption in the property through:
- Hotel’s own water tank to effectively collect rainwater throughout the year
- Water metering systems to control water usage and quickly identify leakages
- Water saving initiatives such as push valves, flow regulators, save water cards in guest rooms to reduce water usage
- Sewage treatment plant to purify the wastewater then reused for irrigation in our gardens
We aim at continuously reducing our waste through:
- Single-use plastic free program to avoid generating unnecessary waste
- Food waste reduction
- Paperless office policy and reuse paper when it is necessary to print
- Recycling programme to reduce the disposal of waste in landfills and incinerators
We aim at protecting and restoring the natural heritage of our land through:
- Mangrove Rehabilitation to protect wild plant and animal species as well as their habitats
- Beach, jungle, and mangrove clean-up activities
- Chemical management & environmentally friendly cleaning agents
- Guest awareness
We are committed to investing in the communities. We are focusing on:
- Employing and empowering local employees
- Sourcing locally as much as possible to support the local economy and foster community pride
- Raising sustainability awareness among our employees and suppliers
- Providing Internship Programs for students originating from the less developed provinces in Thailand
To help us stay true to our commitment to being a responsible business and comply with all relevant legislation and regulations, we work with Travelife, a leading training, management and certification initiative for tourism companies committed to reaching sustainability. Travelife certification process provides stringent guidelines for us to follow.
Furthermore, we have appointed a Sustainability Team responsible for improving the resort’s sustainable performance and which closely works with Sustainability Champions across all hotel departments to ensure high levels of environmental consciousness among our employees.